Monday, September 28, 2009

Europe on A Budget

I have decided to start a mini 5 part series on how to travel Europe on a budget. We will look at how to lower your overall transportation costs in this article.

I travelled to Europe on a shoestring budget a few years back. I was still studying so did not have alot of savings. As I was on an exchange programme, I decided to make use of the very cheap budget airlines to fly around Europe. The budget airline that I flew was Ryan airlines. Click this link to see links to some of the budget Airlines in Europe: Budget Airlines In Europe

So how much did I pay to fly on Ryan Air? Some of the single trips were as low as 30 to 40 Euros (Tax inclusive). Once you manage to fly to London Stanstead airport, you are literally connected to the rest of Europe! That is the amazing thing about budget airlines.

Another way to lower your transportation costs is to make use of public transport in the cities. While the trains could be pretty expensive especially in London, buying a 10 trip ticket could sometimes save you some money compared to buy 10 single trip tickets. So plan your itinerary carefully.

Another way to save on transportation costs would be to walk more. Yes! Walking is a great way to see a new place. You will discover things and see things that you otherwise would not have seen should you have taken the bus or train. Since you are on a holiday, just walk a lot more. Bring a good pair of shoes so that your feet does not hurt from all the walking. In fact, I find walking around the city much less stressful than taking the train or the bus. Walking gives me time to get my orientation while letting me enjoy the sights of the city.

No comments: